| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/paddy-pimblett-responds-conor-mcgregors-35035359 | [Back] [Original] |
UFC lightweight star Paddy "The Baddy" Pimblett has said he is open to throwing down with ex-champ Conor McGregor.
The Scouse fighter piped up after McGregor took to X on Thursday night, dropping a hint that he's got his eye on UFC 314's co-main event where Pimblett faces off against ex-Bellator champ Michael Chandler.
McGregor wrote: "I am interested in the Chandler/Pimblett fight this weekend."
McGregor, 'The Notorious', tagged a bunch of accounts including the UFC and TKO Group Holdings, and added a forty-two second clip of himself pounding the pads, maybe a nod that he fancies a fight with whoever comes out on top.
Paddy was asked about the post during the UFC 314 presser in Miami.
He said: "Yeah, I've seen it, obviously! I got sent it by a good few people.
"I'd welcome the fight, that's where the money is at, but I can't look past Michael (Chandler) on Saturday night, I need to get the win here, That's all that matters."
McGregor has not fought in the UFC since July 2021 and has since been wrapped up in legal battles in Ireland.
Chandler, who is gearing up to fight Pimblett, dished out a more detailed take on McGregor's teaser. History between Chandler and McGregor goes back to when they were rival coaches on The Ultimate Fighter in 2023, and they had scheduled a head-to-head last year until McGregor had to bail with a training injury.
Since the cancellation of the fight, the American has persistently lobbied the UFC to reschedule the highly-anticipated matchup. At the UFC 314 press conference, Chandler replied to a similar inquiry: "I don't know. I'm sure he's watching. He watches and he's very interested in coming back, but can he put together a training camp? That's the real question.
"We don't know. All I know is that you can see by my actions... fighting Charles Oliveira in November and now fighting five months later, Paddy Pimblett, putting my ranking on the line, going out to brave the unknown. I'm going out to stay active.
"The first twenty-six months in the organisation, I weighed-in six times, fought five times... fight of the night, debut of the year, knockout of the year - all I do is put on great fights!
"And I do it for you guys. And on Saturday night, we're going to do it again. I don't really care what Conor tweets. If he comes back, we've got to finish 'The Ultimate Fighter 31' and he's going to be impressed with my performance on Saturday night."
Pimblett is keen to keep his UFC record spotless, though he knows he's up against it. He said: "Obviously my gameplan for opponents... you watch a lot of tape and that's what my coaches do and that's why we get so many wins.
"There's a lot of tape that we've studied over his UFC career and I've got so many ways that I can win this fight. Everyone thinks that I'm going to get knocked out because I leave my chin high. But I told you, this chin is made of granite. I'm not getting knocked out, I've never been knocked out before, but Mike has and I'll do it again on Saturday."
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |