[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tv/bbc-breakfast-host-sally-nugent-37541754 [Back]  [Original]



Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

BBC Breakfast host Sally Nugent says 'sorry' after backlash from viewers

BBC Breakfast presenters Sally Nugent and Jon Kay addressed viewer complaints over today's coverage

Sally Nugent said sorry after viewers complained about the eclipse coverage(Image: BBC screengrab)

Sally Nugent said "sorry" to BBC Breakfast viewers after they claimed the show's eclipse coverage was getting "boring".


The presenter admitted "we've mentioned it a fair bit" after a woman tuning into the programme wrote in to say she was getting "sick and fed up" of hearing about it.


The latest instalment of the BBC programme - which Sally hosted with Jon Kay - included several segments about the solar eclipse set to occur across the UK on Wednesday evening (August 12), including pieces on what people could expect to see and eclipse glasses being hard to get old of. Viewers were also shown how to use colanders to safely view the rare event.


However, some people felt it was a bit repetitive, reports the Mirror. One said on X: "We need something exciting to happen in the world as Jon and Sally repeating the same shite is so f****** boring."

Jon Kay and Sally Nugent issued an apology as they hosted BBC Breakfast(Image: BBC screengrab)

"This coverage of the eclipse is an assault on all of my senses..." admitted another, as someone else wrote on the platform (formerly Twitter): "It's getting boring."


"Fgs - stop banging on about the bloody eclipse will you?! Is nothing else happening in the world today," another wrote.

"BBC Breakfast has managed to achieve a 90% eclipse of all other news with its saturation coverage of the #solareclipse this morning," sniped someone else.

A solar eclipse is set to take place(Image: Getty)


The presenters addressed it after Jon read out a message from a viewer named Jean, from Wolverhampton, who said that while she was looking forward to the event, she felt that "99% of the news has been about the eclipse this morning".

Sally and Jon both apologised, saying "sorry". Jon then joked that it could have been even more if the eclipse was going to be total and not partial, saying: "Just imagine, if it had been a total eclipse, it would have been 100%, wouldn't it?"

"Well, we've gone pretty close!" Sally responded.

Article continues below

Sally also referenced the coverage again later when she introduced another segment on the eclipse later in the programme, saying to viewers: "You might know, we've mentioned it a fair bit this morning."

BBC Breakfast airs at 6am on BBC One.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

AcceptBBC Breakfast host Sally Nugent says 'sorry' after backlash from viewers - Daily Star
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page