[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tv/gb-news-halted-gut-wrenching-37478001 [Back]  [Original]

GB News halted for gut-wrenching death announcement as car ploughs into crowd - Daily Star


Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

GB News halted for gut-wrenching death announcement as car ploughs into crowd

One GB News presenter was forced to interrupt the show to bring viewers a tragic announcement after a car ploughed into a crowd of people at a recent Pride event

Alex Armstrong interrupted the broadcast to share the news(Image: GB News)

GB News was interrupted to deliver a heartbreaking announcement to viewers. Host Alex Armstrong revealed that Berlin's Pride Parade had been cancelled by organisers on Saturday 26 July after a car ploughed into a crowd at the city's park.


He stated: "Berlin Police say a major operation is now underway, several injured after an incident." The GB News presenter then read out a statement from Berlin Police, which said: "We are currently deployed with numerous police forces as well as rescue units from the Berlin Fire Department in the Groer Tiergarten.


"It is suspected that a vehicle has driven into the Tiergarten here, has struck and injured several people. The injured are currently being treated by rescue personnel. We are conducting an intensive manhunt for suspects."


The incident took place at a parade in Berlin(Image: AFP via Getty Images)

It was later confirmed that one person had died due to their injuries as Alex announced: "A new breaking line here to bring you. One person has died after a car has crashed into a crowd in Berlin, say local police."

Authorities have since identified the suspect as 21 year old Abdul B, who police claim is known to them and has connections to the Islamist scene in Berlin, reports the Express.


A statement added: "One or more people are believed to have subsequently fled the vehicle. Furthermore, several people are reported to have been injured with stabbing weapons."

A motor vehicle ploughed into crowds gathered for the city's annual Christopher Street Day Pride festivities in Tiergarten Park at approximately 10pm local time.

Authorities have confirmed that one person died and 16 sustained injuries, with three suffering life-threatening wounds.


Eyewitnesses reported a white minivan-type vehicle was travelling at high speed before smashing into pedestrians. The motor was left so severely mangled that officers struggled to determine its precise make and model, police said.

Authorities have warned that the casualty count may yet climb as several of the wounded remain in critical condition.

Germanys Interior Minister Alexander Dobrindt told reporters in Berlin the attack likely an act of Islamist terrorism.

Article continues below

Have you joined Threads? Follow Daily Star to keep up to date on all things showbiz here

Want all the biggest Showbiz and TV news straight to your inbox? Sign up for our free Daily Star Showbiz newsletter

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page