[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tv/gb-news-paused-concerning-breaking-37498056 [Back]  [Original]

GB News paused for concerning breaking news update as 'major incident' declared in UK - Daily Star


Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

GB News paused for concerning breaking news update as 'major incident' declared in UK

GB News came to a halt for an update on the wildfires burning through Suffolk, with presenter Sam Francis telling viewers that the fires have continued throughout the night

GB News issued an update on the Suffolk wildfires(Image: GB News)

GB News delivered an update on the wildfires ripping through parts of Suffolk. The breaking news banner flashed up on the screen on Friday morning (July 31), revealing Britain is "on alert" for further wildfires.


GB News correspondent Sam Francis said the fires, which has ravished parts of the coastline, are now "stabilising", but warned it is far from over and still a "major incident". He told presenters Stephen Dixon and Dawn Neesom: "The blaze has been continuing throughout the night.


"Firefighters, [there are] at least 100 personnel on the scene tackling the blaze and it is still a major incident. We do have a better sense of the scale of the blaze. It broke out on Wednesday evening and has now been burning for some 48 hours plus, and has affected a huge area of land on the Suffolk coastline."


The wildfires broke out on Wednesday evening (July 29) and firefighters have been battling the blaze(Image: Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service/AFP via Getty Images)

[]

Join Gold Star!

Gold Star is the latest chapter in the evolution of the Daily Star. Our premium digital service has launched, offering you even more of our brilliant journalism but with even fewer adverts.

And if you do, this is what youll get:

- A new ad-lite subscription service offering unlimited access to Gold Star and our app, as well as a cleaner viewing experience with far fewer ads

- Access to exclusive subscriber-only articles crafted specifically for readers who want their stories to dig a little deeper. This will include unique insight from our writers alongside thought-provoking comment

- Bespoke special offers, rewards and competitions from our partners

- Access our Gold Nuggets, the juiciest picks from the Daily Star - no digging required!

- The most fun you can have with a daily news brand anywhere in the world!

Membership starts at 1.99 a month or 12 for the year. These are both Gold Star launch offers for the next 12 months so make sure you dont miss out.

Click on this article to subscribe

He added: "Some 150 hectares have already burned through and that number is expected to continue growing, despite the fact they say it is stabilising. Efforts are still continuing to put a stop to that fire burning."


Sam revealed that the 150 hectares is the equivalent of 210 football pitches worth of land that has already burned. Sam turned around to look behind him at the Suffolk coastline which had been affected by the fires.

He went on: "From here, you get a real sense of the landscape involved where these firefighters have been working through the night. More than 100 have been joined by helicopters dropping sea water onto the flames in an attempt to dampen them."

The fire is "stabilising" but it's still considered a "major incident"(Image: Joe Giddens/PA Wire)


Crews have also filled trenches in the ground with water in a bid to tackle the blaze and stop it moving. Sam said: "In an incident like this, there is a significant impact to those who live and stay locally in the area," adding that more than 100 people have been evacuated and more than 200 were moved from a holiday camp.

The programme aired footage of an interview with Paul Ashton, the deputy leader of East Suffolk Council, who shared how people reacted after being evacuated to the local town hall. He remarked: "Generally speaking, they're quite calm. They are a little bit worried about their cars. In some cases, they own static caravans and have a reasonable amount of money invested in those. They've got concern for their property.

"They're all safe and I think they're hugely thankful for the people here and all they've done for them. Every time we have a meeting or an update on progress, they all give a round of applause to local people. It's really impressive."

Article continues below

Sam concluded: "The sense this morning is one of cautious optimism but there are still concerns from the fire service that despite a stabilising picture now, there are efforts to contain the fire from spreading any further. Those who have been evacuated are still waiting for the all-clear."

Have you joined Threads? Follow Daily Star to keep up to date on all things showbiz here .

Want all the biggest Showbiz and TV news straight to your inbox? Sign up for our free Daily Star Showbiz newsletter.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page