[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/people-merseyside-cheshire-could-lose-33675649 [Back]  [Original]

People from Merseyside and Cheshire 'could lose everything' in six months - Liverpool Echo


Skip to main content
Liverpool Echo: Latest Liverpool and Merseyside news sports and whats on

People from Merseyside and Cheshire 'could lose everything' in six months

Halton Council says the site was allocated for housing development four years ago and it may be able to offer support for those affected

Martin and Shelley Freeman at their cafe on the Golden Triangle Industrial Estate, Widnes(Image: Colin Lane/Liverpool Echo)

A married couple and other business owners are still fearing for their future after being given a new deadline to move out. Traders on the Golden Triangle Industrial Estate in Widnes say they were told at the start of March that they have to pack up and go by March 31 after the estate was bought by Halton Borough Council.


The businesses were informed in a letter sent to them by solicitors acting on behalf of the council. The council, along with developer Cityheart, submitted plans for 240 new homes on the estate in September.


At the start of this month, business owners told the ECHO they were unaware that they would have to make way for the development so soon and warned they faced the imminent collapse of their companies if the plans were not delayed and financial support put in place.


Now, the ECHO can reveal the business owners have been granted a relief of sorts, with a solicitors letter telling them earlier this week the deadline had been extended to September 30.

But many feel this has merely kicked the can down the road, with financial support from the council not forthcoming.

Business tenancies can be terminated with a section 25 notice but these must be served within six months before the termination.


A spokesperson for Halton Council said this is why a section 25 was issued when the council recently acquired the site. They added that the council is following the legal process and it may be able to offer support to businesses affected.

Martin Freeman, who runs Shelley's cafe with his wife Shelly, says he would prefer the council to be more honest with their plans.

Martin, 55, from Aigburth, said: If we lose this place, we lose everything. We paid 13,000 for this place 12 years ago. Weve spent thousands of pounds on new windows.


I'm 55, my wife is 62. At this age, its going to be difficult to come back from this. Were going to be left in the open.

Paul Green, 59, from Widnes, who runs P&G Fencing, is also pessimistic. He said: Its one of them - you can appeal but youre not going to win.

Dad Paul with son Charlie Green from P&G Fencing(Image: Colin Lane/Liverpool Echo)


Were just out on jobs and trying to get them done before we have to find time to relocate. But theres hardly anywhere to go. Thats the trouble. I'm not too sure what to do.

(The council) has not offered us any help. Well have to see what happens before we move forward. I've been trying to get one of those containers but theyre all full and a lot of them don't want a skip outside it or vans there.

Weve been going since 1989. We need space to do stuff. Its a bit of a nightmare. It's a little bit out of order what the council has done. I was thinking of taking on another couple of lads because we're that busy. Now, we don't know about that. Were just up the wall.


This sentiment is shared by Lorna McGowan. She works for MOT centre RGN, which has been in the Golden Triangle for 41 years under the management of 69-year-old Rowland Neill.

Rowland Neill from RGN(Image: Colin Lane/Liverpool Echo)

She said: I suppose (the deadline extension) was a small victory in a way - theyve acknowledged were tenants with rights. That I suppose is the first battle.


Thirty years ago, it was rumoured there were going to be houses there. How often do you hear that and its not true? It was only when a guy phoned up the cafe nearby that we found out this was all happening. From my point of view, Rowland employs me, so what's going to happen there?

A spokesperson for Halton Council said: The Section 25 notice must be served at least six months before termination of a business tenancy, so thats why it was issued once the council became the owner of the site.

The site was allocated for housing development in the local plan four years ago. Work on phase one has been progressing over the past few years, with the intention of moving forward to phase two in due course.

Article continues below

Our Business Growth team is aware of the situation and may be able to offer support. They can be contacted at business@halton.gov.uk.

The Council is following the statutory process for obtaining vacant possession to facilitate regeneration. That process includes statutory compensation where appropriate.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Liverpool Echo as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page