| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/wimbledons-annabel-croft-says-we-37375981 | [Back] [Original] |
BBC Wimbledon presenter Annabel Croft has shared her ongoing struggle with bereavement three years after death of her husband, Mel Coleman. The banker, who shared 30 years of marriage with Annabel, died three months after receiving a colon cancer diagnosis in March 2023.
The following year, the tennis star became part of the Strictly Come Dancing cast, where she was paired with professional dancer Johannes Radebe.
While she has credited the programme and keeping busy with helping her through her grief, Annabel admits she still longs for her late husband.
"I just feel like he's still there," the 59-year-old told The Observer. "Every day I say, 'I cannot believe you're not here'. I said it to him last night, to the picture next to my bed. It's just so bizarre. How can somebody just evaporate?".
Looking back on his illness, Annabel revealed Mel died from sepsis, which she described as "a terrible way to go".
The life-threatening condition emerged after one of his tumours perforated during a flight to Portugal.
After his cancer diagnosis, the businessman decided against chemotherapy, a choice that one of their three children, Lily, said she's "glad" he made.
She continued by saying that while he experienced symptoms, she believes he had a high pain threshold and didn't complain.
"We couldn't understand what was going on," the tennis ace added. "We were a bit naive. None of us knew that he was dying."
Annabel has previously opened up about still suffering "traumatic flashbacks" from the moment she said her final farewell to her beloved husband.
Speaking to The Sun's Fabulous magazine in 2024, she said: "During his final hours, as he drifted in and out of consciousness, he started listing instructions like, 'Change the tyre on the van' and then saying to the children, 'Sorry I can't be there for your weddings'.
"That memory breaks my heart. After Mel died, it didn't feel real, but as though he was away on a trip and would reappear.
"Weirdly, the pain of grief feels like it's growing, rather than easing, because of the realisation that he's not coming back."
Three years on from the devastating loss, Annabel admits she still isn't ready for romance with someone new.
Speaking recently to The Times, she said: "I've had people asking for dinner dates. I'm, like, 'You have no idea!'
"I'm not anywhere close to that. It gives me the heebies to think about it. It's never say never, but I wouldn't mind if it was never.
"Still, I don't want to feel doom and gloom for the rest of my life. Mel would have wanted me to be happy.
"I try to live in the moment, to stay as present as you possibly can. It's the only way to be - like a sportsman."
Annabel is a part of the BBC's Wimbledon 2026 punditry line-up alongside familiar faces such as Tim Henman and John McEnroe.
Wimbledon 2026 is broadcast live on the BBC from Monday, 29 June until Sunday 12 July 2026.
Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |