| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/southport-attacks-silence-respects-tributes-37492148 | [Back] [Original] |
Southport fell silent today two years on from the horrific attack which claimed three young lives.
People embraced in the town hall gardens as they joined a three-minute silence to remember July 29, 2024, when Alice da Silva Aguiar, nine, Bebe King, six, and seven-year-old Elsie Dot Stancombe were killed at a Taylor Swift-themed dance class.
Eight other children, dance teacher Leanne Lucas and businessman John Hayes were also physically injured in the attack.
Victims and survivors were remembered during the silence, with members of the public, Sefton Council and Merseyside Police all taking part. Many bowed their heads in remembrance while others wiped away tears.
In a statement posted on social media, with a pink background, Merseyside Police said: Today we pause to remember the light, the kindness and the joy that Alice, Bebe and Elsie brought into this world.
We will never forget that day or the impact it has had on those whose lives were taken, their loved ones, those who survived, and those who responded.
People were encouraged not to leave floral tributes but instead to donate to local causes.
Following their deaths, foundations were set up in memory of Alice, Bebe and Elsie.
Alice's WonderDance Foundation aims to spread Alices magic by supporting young dancers and Elsie's Story hopes to continue her legacy by supporting young people and children. Bebes Hive was launched to support grieving children with creative sessions.
In an open letter to the community last week, Sefton Council said local spaces had been identified for residents to go to say a prayer, light a candle, speak to someone or spend a quiet moment reflecting.
The council said: We fully understand that many of us still need to grieve and to acknowledge the day and there is no right or wrong way to do this.
Whether you choose to attend a reflective space, observe the silence, spend time with loved ones, or simply take a quiet moment to yourself, we encourage everyone to do whatever feels most appropriate to you.
Earlier this year, a public inquiry found the attack could and should have been prevented if steps had been taken by agencies and the killer's parents.
Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |