[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/conor-mcgregor-breaks-silence-respond-37419959 [Back]  [Original]

Conor McGregor breaks silence with worrying statement - 'Beyond dark' - The Mirror


Skip to main content
The Mirror: The Heart of Britain
Check out our editions:

Conor McGregor breaks silence with worrying statement - 'Beyond dark'

The Irishman's much-anticipated return to the octagon ended in disappointing fashion at UFC 329 on Saturday

Conor McGregor [Conor McGregor]
View Image

Conor McGregor(Image: Getty Images)

Conor McGregor insists he had no pre-existing injury before his ill-fated comeback fight against Max Holloway.


The Irishman's much-anticipated return to the octagon ended in disappointing fashion at UFC 329 on Saturday, with the Irishman suffering a leg injury early in his clash with Max Holloway. The 37-year-old had his last bout five years ago, and opened the fight by rushing at his American opponent with a kick.


However, he landed awkwardly on his right knee, and despite trying to battle through the referee called the fight at one minute and nine seconds into the first round. McGregor was visibly upset and was consoled by ring announcer Bruce Buffer before he left the cage and the arena.


Fans immediately claimed McGregor had already been injured before he entered the cage but the former two-weight world champion has denied the theory and said: "My head gasket is gone. Destroyed. I had no injury / injuries going into the fight. I was throwing kicks, planted and jumping, all throughout camp as well as backstage before the fight. This came out of nowhere. I am beyond dark here. I can only describe it as hell."

UFC CEO Dana White played down suggestions McGregor was not fit and said: I was expecting at least a one-round war, who knew what Conor was capable of in terms of cardio after a five-year lay-off. But there you go. Were assuming blown ACL. Im no doctor but thats what I figured when I saw it and the doctors think the same thing, too.

Article continues below

Holloway, who was stepping up to welterweight for the first time, had sympathy for McGregor. "Right now, I'm just praying for the guy," he said. "All jokes aside, as a human being... even when I was in there, you could see me telling the ref, 'Bro, this guy is done, just let it go.'

"The referee was telling me, 'Bro, thank you for pushing me, because it was a hard spot.' He had a hard feeling. And Conor's crazy. Conor's like, 'Fight! Fight!' I'm like, 'You're f***ing crazy.'"

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page