[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/sale-disposable-barbecues-banned-wildfires-34460624 [Back]  [Original]

The sale of disposable barbecues is banned as wildfires continue to rage | Wales Online


Skip to main content
WalesOnline: News, sport, weather and events from across Wales

The sale of disposable barbecues is banned as wildfires continue to rage

The UK government has issued the ban because of the huge problems across the UK

A wildfire burning above Ferndale in the Rhondda on Friday(Image: John Myers)

The UK Government has issued a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues as they pose a significant risk to the public due to the heatwave conditions. Wildfires have been burning across the UK over recent weeks after weeks of hot weather.


In Wales, a number of significant fires are still burning. Homes have been evacuated with flames creeping close to homes and thousands of hectares of mountainside completely destroyed. You can follow all the latest on the fires here.


According to new advice on the UK Government website, single-use barbecues have been temporarily banned and will not be able to be sold in store or online at this time. The update states grills have been the cause of a number of serious wildfires across the country over the summer months.


It's not clear whether the ban automatically applies in Wales or will have to be adopted by the Welsh Government.

Make sure you never miss Wales biggest updates by getting our daily newsletter

Earlier this week, Rhun ap Iorwerth indiciated that he would support a ban. The First Minister urged Welsh retailers to follow voluntary guidance and stop selling disposable barbecues during periods of extreme heat.


He told BBC Wales he supported a voluntary ban, adding that having barbecues "in tinder-dry places is not a very, very good idea".

The issue was discussed at an emergency UK government Cobra meeting on Wednesday, attended by Mr ap Iorwerth, to consider the response to record temperatures.

The new advice published on the UK Governments website states: During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.


They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.

These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live after the ban was announced, Prime Minister Andy Burnham said some of the wildfires burning across the country will have been started by disposable barbecues


He said: All retailers will be receiving guidance today, asking them to withdraw them from sale.

Weve got 37 fires across England and Wales right now, four of them are major incidents.

I cant on this call today say to you that all of them are down to disposable barbecues, theyre not, and I wouldnt, wouldnt claim that. But its probable that some of them have been caused in that in that way."

Article continues below

Get daily breaking news updates on your phone by joining our WhatsApp community here. We occasionally treat members to special offers, promotions and ads from us and our partners. See our Privacy Notice

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Wales Online as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page