| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/iconic-welsh-rugby-stadium-now-34460473 | [Back] [Original] |
Work is continuing on St Helen's, with the Ospreys revealing that the concrete base has been laid ready for the new South Stand.
Work began on the famous old ground in Swansea earlier this summer, with the Ospreys set to play there this season after a year at the Brewery Field in Bridgend. Their first game is pencilled in for October 24, when they host the Dragons.
Last month, the one stand was demolished as work continued on getting the ground ready for the upcoming season.
The huge 150ft floodlight tower - said to be the tallest of any kind at any sports ground in Europe - was also taken down in July.
Now the Ospreys have posted another update - showing that the stadium's concrete base has been laid ahead of work on the new South Stand.
The phase redevelopment will not only include a new South Stand, but also a redeveloped West Stand and terrace, a designated fan zone, hospitality facilities and significant improvements for players, staff and supporters.
JOIN OUR WALES RUGBY FACEBOOK PAGE Latest news, analysis and much more
Foundations for a new 3G playing surface have also been laid.
In a statement earlier this week, the Ospreys added that St Helen's would be more than a "professional matchday venue".
"It will provide a year-round home for rugby and the community, supporting Swansea RFC, schools, local clubs, Swansea University and the Ospreys' development and community programmes," they said.
"Alongside the physical redevelopment, next-generation 5G infrastructure will provide new opportunities across supporter experience, performance, content and stadium operations, helping position St Helen's among the most technologically advanced sporting venues in the UK."
Swansea Council have invested 5.1m in the redevelopment, with Y11 - the Ospreys' owners - putting in a further 2.5m.
There is real momentum around the club. St Helen's is taking shape, supporters have backed us in significant numbers, we have strengthened the playing squad and there is growing confidence across the business," said Ospreys director Roger Blyth this week.
"The last year has tested everyone connected with the Ospreys, but the response from our supporters, players, staff and partners has been exceptional and galvanised the organisation, establishing stronger foundations for our future.
"Following one of the most challenging periods in the club's history, both on and off the field, the commitment shown by supporters, players, staff, sponsors, partners and the wider community has helped the Ospreys move forward and establish stronger foundations for the future.
"There is still a great deal of work ahead, but we are excited about where the Ospreys are going and determined to build a successful and sustainable future."
Follow all of our channels to ensure you stay up to date with the latest Welsh rugby news. Sign up to our free daily newsletter here and our WhatsApp channel here for all the breaking news
Choose Wales Online as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |