| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/liverpool-parade-crash-driver-paul-36402795 | [Back] [Original] |
Liverpool parade crash driver, Paul Doyle generated horror in those who had attended what they had thought would be a day of joyfulness," a court has been told.
The 54-year-old ploughed his car into more than 100 Liverpool fans at a Premier League victory parade drove dangerously and frightened people from an early stage of his journey, it has emerged.
He sobbed in the dock as he appeared at Liverpool Crown Court to be sentenced today. He previously admitted 31 offences relating to the crash, which happened when he ploughed into crowds of fans making their way back from the citys waterfront.
Prosecutor Paul Greaney KC told Liverpool Crown Court that Paul Doyle was driving his grey Ford Galaxy Titanium from his home in Croxteth into central Liverpool to pick up friends who had attended the parade on April 27. His vehicle weighed nearly two tonnes.
Mr Greaney said the road was extremely busy with pedestrians on what should have been a day of joy.
He said: The defendant drove the Galaxy on to Dale Street at 5.54pm and began to travel in the direction of Water Street, so on a course opposite from the direction of travel of most of the fans, and towards them.
From an early stage, Paul Doyle drove dangerously along that road, frightening people as he did so. Then at 5.59pm, he encountered some traffic implementation measures that were filtering vehicles off to the right.
He came to halt, but shortly afterwards set off down the left side of Dale Street towards Water Street, ignoring the measures.
He said: By 6.01pm, so less than two minutes later, the Galaxy was stationary on Water Street and attempts were being made by fans to drag Paul Doyle from it. He was quickly protected by police officers, and thereafter arrested and detained, having sustained only minor injuries.
What had happened in that short period between 5.59pm and 6.01pm is that the defendant had driven his vehicle into a collision with well over 100 people, causing injuries including serious injuries to many and, when the vehicle was brought to a halt, people including children were trapped beneath it.
The prosecution case is that the defendant had used the vehicle as a weapon over that period of time.
In doing so, he not only caused injury on a large scale, but also generated horror in those who had attended what they had thought would be a day of joyfulness.
Paul Greaney told the court Paul Doyle was not driven by ideology, adding: This was, it should be categorically stated, not a terrorist attack.
He said police had excluded any problem with the vehicle and at the time of the crash Doyle was completely sober and free of all drugs.
When interviewed, he said, Doyle claimed he acted in a blind panic and in fear of his life because of how some of the crowd behaved, but the position of the prosecution was that the account was untrue.
The sentencing is expected to continue until Tuesday.
For live updates on Paul Doyle's sentencing hearing, read our live blog.
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |