| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/huge-new-mh370-search-approved-34897489 | [Back] [Original] |
A renewed search for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 will begin as the Malaysian government gives the go-ahead to Texas-based marine robotics company.
The search for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight will use more advanced technology to map a full picture of the ocean floor. However, experts warn that one false move could destroy efforts in what is likely to be the final search for the doomed aircraft, due to the ocean's vast, isolated and treacherous area.
The Malaysian government has agreed to a "no-find, no-fee" contract with Ocean Infinity to restart the seabed search operation at a new 5,800-square-mile site in the Indian ocean.
If they finally discover the doomed flight, Ocean Infinity will be paid 70 million dollars (53.8 million). The company have tried to search for the jet before, but turned up with no new information.
Craig Wallace, an electrical engineer from Deep Sea Vision said: Make no mistakes, the Indian Ocean that theyre working in is among the worst in the world. Theyve recorded wave heights of 20 meters, so 60 feet. Its extreme conditions and there will be a lot of times where they simply cannot launch or recover the vehicle.
In another warning, former Australian naval officer Peter Waring, who took part in the initial search for MH370, told Australian programme 60 Minutes: Theres absolutely no shelter out there, and theres nowhere to hide. Youre six or seven days away from the nearest port, which is Perth. These are dangerous conditions. If something goes wrong, it will turn catastrophic very, very quickly."
The Boeing 777 plane vanished from radar shortly after taking off on March 8 2014, carrying 239 people on a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Satellite data showed the plane turned from its flight path and headed south to the far-southern Indian Ocean, where it is believed to have crashed.
The first search spanned three million square kilometres above the water and more than 120,000 square kilometres under the sea, but failed to turn up any clues to its location, although debris washed ashore on the east African coast and Indian Ocean islands.
Ocean Infinity chief executive Oliver Punkett earlier this year reportedly said the company had improved its technology since their last search in 2018.
He has said the firm is working with many experts to analyse data and had narrowed the search area to the most likely site.
Mr Loke said his ministry will ink a contract with Ocean Infinity soon but did not provide details on the terms. The firm has reportedly sent a search vessel to the site and indicated that January to April is the best period for the search.
"The government is committed to continuing the search operation and providing closure for the families of the passengers of flight MH370," Mr Loke said in a statement.
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletters.
Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |