[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/iran-unveils-bloody-revenge-flag-21213631 [Back]  [Original]



Skip to main content
The Daily Star: News with a Wink

Iran unveils 'bloody revenge flag' sparking war fears following US drone strike

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT BELOW - Iranian militants have unfurled a blood-red flag of war, just a day after the countrys top general Qasem Soleimani was killed by a US drone strike, and hours before rockets exploded close to the US Embassy in Baghdad

Iran: Donald Trump not ready for retaliation claims expert

Iranian militants have unveiled a red flag, symbolising the need for 'bloody revenge' following the US assignation of their top military general, amid World War Three fears.


The shattering display is seen as warning that the country is ready to fulfil its pledge to hit back at America and President Trump .


In a chilling move, the words: "Those who want to avenge the blood of Hussein" are written across the war flag.


Red flags in Shiite Islamic tradition symbolise blood which has been spilt unjustly and also serves as a warning to avenge whoever is in slain.

Gen. Qassem Soleimani was blown up by a US drone close to Baghdad Airport(Image: KHAMENEI.IR/AFP via Getty Images)

The flag is being flown above the Jamkaran Mosque which lies on the outskirts of the holy city of Qom, around 100 miles south of the Iranian capital, Tehran.


It flew at full mast as General Qasem Soleimanis daughter pleaded with the Iranian president to strike back after her dad was assassinated in a shocking move.

During Hassan Rouhanis visit to the family home in Tehran, she is believed to have said: "Who is going to avenge my fathers blood?"

The 'bloody revenge' flag is currently flying above the Jamkaran Mosque in Qom(Image: WWW.YJC.IR)


Iraqi Kurdistan news, Rudaw, reported that the President replied: "We will avenge, all of us will avenge his blood. Dont you worry."

The news came after an Iranian military leader had claimed they had located several US interests for the attack, including "destroyers and warships" close to the Persian Gulf.

General Gholamli Abuhamzeh, warned of a potential attack on "vital American targets" located in the Strait of Hormuz, in retaliation for the death of Soleimani.


Iraqi media shared an image of the vehicle which had been destroyed by a US drone(Image: IRAQI MILITARY/AFP via Getty Ima)

Abuhamzeh is believed to have said: "Vital American targets in the region have been identified by Iran since long time ago

"Some 35 targets in the region, as well as Tel Aviv, are within our reach."


Tens of thousands of mourners are believed to have mobbed a funeral procession for the General and other militia who are killed in the US airstrike, which has since been branded "an act of war" by Tehran.

Thousands of mourners took to the streets and mobbed the funeral procession(Image: MURTAJA LATEEF/EPA-EFE/REX)

Soleimani, who was head of the notorious Quds Force, a unit in Irans Revolutionary Guard Corps, which specialise in unconventional warfare and military intelligence operations, was wiped out by drones from The Pentagon on Friday morning, close to the Iraqi capital Baghdads international airport.


Tehran has since stated "harsh revenge" on America, igniting fears of war, however, President Trump claimed he ordered the attack to prevent bloodshed.

Mourners in Baghdad were dressed in black and carried Iraqi flags and the flags of Iran-backed militaries who were loyal to Soleimani.

President Trump claimed that Soleimani had plotted against the US(Image: AFP via Getty Images)


They were also mourning the death of Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, a senior Iraqi commander who was also killed in the strike.

The funeral procession began at the Imam Kadhim shrine, located in Baghdad, which is one of the most revered sites in Shiite Islam.

Mourners had marched the streets alongside the military vehicles during the procession.


Iranians burnt the US flag following the assassination(Image: Rouzbeh Fouladi/ZUMA Wire/REX)

Iran had declared the attack as an act of warning, as a second rocket attack near Baghdad allegedly killed a further six pro-Iran militants dead.

In a chilling interview with CNN, Majid Takht Ravanchi, Irans UN envoy said the assassination was "tantamount to opening a war against Iran."


He also went on to add: "The response for military action is a military action."

CCTV close to Baghdad Airport captured the moment Soleimani was blown up(Image: AhadTV)

Ravanchi had earlier told the UN Security Council that Iran receivers the right to self-defence under international law.


Speaking in a letter, he said that the murder of Soleimani "is an obvious example of State terrorism and, as a criminal act, constitutes a gross violation of the fundamental principles of international law, including, in particular the Charter of the United Nations."

Soleimani, 62, was blown up in a missile strike, guided by the Pentagon, which claims he had plotted attacks against American citizens.

The MQ-9 Reaper was remotely controlled during the attack(Image: Getty Images)


He had led the overseas arm of Irans Revolutionary Guards and was believed to be the second most powerful figure in the country, after Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Qasem had landed at Baghdad Airport after travelling from either Syria or Lebanon around 12:30 am and was met by Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, deputy commander of the pro-Iran Popular Mobilisation forces in Iraq.

When the cars were passing through a cargo area for an access road leading out of the airport, the vehicles were struck by at least two missiles by a US MQ9 Reaper drone which was being controlled remotely.


The General was identified by his iconic ring (Image: ABACA/PA Images)

Surveillance cameras had filmed at least two missiles which were fired at the vehicles, killing all those on board including the general, who was identified by a ring on his severed hand.

This came after months of tensions between the US and Iran during which Tehran had shot down an American military surveillance drone and seized oil tankers.

Article continues below

Amir Tatami, Irans defence minister, has since threatened the US with "crushing revenge" for the "unjust assassination".

The countrys supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has also said: " severe revenge awaits the criminals" behind the attack.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Star as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

AcceptIran unveils 'bloody revenge flag' sparking war fears following US drone strike - Daily Star
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page