[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/conor-mcgregor-suspended-immediately-after-37419955 [Back]  [Original]

Conor McGregor to be suspended immediately after comeback disaster - The Mirror


Skip to main content
The Mirror: The Heart of Britain
Check out our editions:

Conor McGregor to be suspended immediately after comeback disaster

Conor McGregor's long-awaited return to the octagon ended in disaster as he suffered a suspected ACL injury just 69 seconds into his UFC 329 main event against Max Holloway

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA - JULY 11: Conor McGregor of Ireland is consoled by Bruce Buffer after suffering a loss against Max Holloway in a welterweight fight during the UFC 329 event at T-Mobile Arena on July 11, 2026 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Chris Unger/Zuffa LLC)

Conor McGregor looks set to face a lengthy medical suspension following his UFC 329 loss to Max Holloway.


The 37 year old is believed to have sustained an ACL injury within seconds of the rematch getting under way his first outing in five years. The Nevada State Athletic Commission is now expected to impose a medical suspension on the Irishman as a consequence of the injury, with a six-month ban inevitable.


But McGregor may now retire from the sport having suffered yet another injury. And he took to social media to explain he was not carrying a knock. "My head gasket is gone," he said. "Destroyed. I had no injury / injuries going into the fight. I was throwing kicks, planted and jumping, all throughout camp as well as backstage before the fight. This came out of nowhere. I am beyond dark here. I can only describe it as hell."


UFC CEO Dana White updated fans when he said: "I was expecting at least a one round war... We're assuming blown ACL. The doctor's think the same thing too. In the opening exchanges of the UFC 329 main event, McGregor threw a kick with his left leg, only to appear to cause serious damage to his right knee in the process.

The fight was officially stopped at one minute and nine seconds, leaving McGregor floored on the canvas, as Holloway wasted no time in calling for a rematch.

Article continues below

This marked the Dublin fighter's long-anticipated comeback to the octagon following the devastating leg break he suffered against Dustin Poirier five years ago in July 2021. McGregor had been desperate to get the better of Holloway for a second time, 13 years on from their featherweight encounter in Boston.

Despite pledging to bulldoze his way through Holloway, the contest barely got off the ground, raising serious doubts over whether the former two-weight world champion will ever compete inside the cage again.

ENJOYED THIS STORY?

Choose Daily Mirror as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.

Google Preferred Source Badge [Google Preferred Source Badge]




2026 a Reach plc subsidiary
reach logo [reach logo]

At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.

Accept
Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page