| [ Web Proxy ] |
| Viewing: https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/two-former-mps-elected-new-10955082 | [Back] [Original] |
Former Stoke-on-Trent North MP Jonathan Gullis was one of the more notable victors in the Newcastle Borough Council elections. The outspoken politician, who defected from the Tories to Reform UK last year, was among the 27 Reform councillors elected across Newcastle as the party swept to power in the borough.
But he is not the only ex-MP now serving on the borough council, following Thursday's all-out elections. Jeremy Lefroy, who was the Conservative MP for Stafford from 2010 to 2019, was elected as the new Tory councillor for Maer and Whitmore.
Cllr Lefroy also previously served on the borough council between 2003 and 2007, which included a stint as cabinet member for finance. He said it was a 'real honour' to be elected as a borough councillor again - and raised concerns over the future of Newcastle with local government reorganisation looming over Staffordshire.
The borough council is due to be abolished and replaced with a new unitary authority as early as 2028.
Cllr Lefroy said: "When I left Parliament in 2019, I wasn't really planning on making a return like this. But when the opportunity came along I decided to take the chance to serve the borough and Staffordshire.
"I'm a great supporter of the borough of Newcastle, but it faces being effectively abolished under local government reorganisation (LGR). In this country we already have fewer elected representatives compared to other countries in Europe, so LGR will be bad for democracy as well."
The big story from the elections in Newcastle was Reform UK's rise to power.
Twelve months after the party took control of Staffordshire County Council, Reform secured a majority on the borough council, ending nine years of Conservative rule.
Reform took seats from both the Tories and Labour, who were reduced to just 15 and two councillors respectively.
Going into the elections, Silverdale had one Conservative and one Labour councillor - it now has two Reform councillors - Martyn Ashworth and Ian Sparks.
Cllr Sparks said: "People in Silverdale are crying out for change and that is what we're going to deliver for them."
Cllr Ashworth said: "We're going to give people a strong voice and be a visible presence in the ward. The roads in Silverdale are in a terrible state at the moment, so we'll be raising that with the county council."
Paul Wood claimed one of the biggest scalps of the night for Reform when he defeated Conservative deputy council leader Stephen Sweeney in Clayton .
He said: "I put my win down to hard work, a promise to deliver for the people of Clayton ward, and my views coinciding with those of the electorate."
Reform saw some of its biggest wins in the Kidsgrove area.
In the Kidsgrove and Ravensclife ward, Jonathan Gullis received 1,335 votes, while his Reform colleagues Charlie Clarke and Olivia Wozny getting 1,218 and 1,126 respectively, meaning the party took all three seats by a huge margin. Fourth place candidate Silvia Burgess received just 546 votes.
It was a similar story in Talke and Butt Lane, where the three Reform candidates - Gary Evans, Simon Kasperowicz and Martin Rogerson - each got more than 1,200 votes, well ahead of the three sitting Labour councillors.
It was a miserable night all round for Labour, as their numbers dwindled from 17 councillors to just two - group leader Dave Jones in Keele and Sheelagh Casey-Hulme in Town were the party's only survivors.
Husband-and-wife Labour councillors John and Gill Williams, who have amassed 64 years of service on the borough council between them, lost to Reform candidates Mark Harrison and Christopher Saxton in Cross Heath.
John said: "It is really sad that we've lost, but I think we achieved a lot for Cross Heath. We're still going to live here and be part of the community. When we were first elected we were still working, and we've continued to be councillors during our retirement, so now we move onto the next chapter of our lives."
Gill added: "I've thoroughly enjoyed being a borough councillor. I'm sad we lost but we are both getting to an age now."
Get even more North Staffordshire exclusives - and it is free
Choose The Sentinel as a 'Preferred Source' on Google News for quick access to the news you value.
[Google Preferred Source Badge]At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Accept| Web Proxy Viewer | New URL | Original Page |