[ Web Proxy ]
URL:
Viewing: https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/gallery/firefighters-remain-scene-sandyford-blaze-11113670 [Back]  [Original]

Firefighters remain at scene of Sandyford blaze as road stays shut - The Sentinel
stokesentinelLoad mobile navigation
premium-stokesentinel.svg [premium-stokesentinel.svg]SUBSCRIBE
premium-stokesentinel.svg [premium-stokesentinel.svg]PREMIUM
  1. frontpage
  2. Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service

Firefighters remain at scene of Sandyford blaze as road stays shut

Four homes are said to have been destroyed

  • Bookmark
  • []

    Firefighters remain at the scene of the devastating fire in Sandyford today (August 17) as the community continues to rally after last week's huge blaze. And community leaders and volunteers say they have been 'overwhelmed' by the generosity of locals who have come out in force to support those affected by the fire.

    Eight fire engines, police and paramedics had been scrambled to the neighbourhood at around 4.15pm on Thursday where the fire affected homes on Maureen Avenue and Sandy Road - with police taping off the adjoining Sandyford Park. Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service later confirmed six firefighters were taken to the Royal Stoke - where one remains.

    As the investigation continued on Friday, Staffordshire Police had confirmed a 23-year-old man and a 24-year-old woman, from Stoke-on-Trent, were both arrested on suspicion of arson. Across the weekend and donations continued to pour in for those evacuated from their homes - with drone footage revealing the sheer scale of damage caused by the fire.

    Yesterday ward councillor Chandra Kanneganti said Goldenhill Community Centre was 'full of clothes, toiletries, food, household essentials and other items'. There had been a 'significant quantity' also collected at Goldenhill Club.

    Councillor Kanneganti has asked for a pause in donations - while revealing Tunstall's TS Domestics has kindly offered storage space. He wrote on Facebook: "Many affected families are currently staying in hotels or with family and friends. Understandably, they cannot take large quantities of household items until they have more permanent accommodation.

    "We therefore need to concentrate now on getting the donations we already have to the right families at the right time, rather than collecting more. Goldenhill Community Centre will continue to hold donations, and TS Domestics has very kindly offered storage space for items from the centre. This will give us additional capacity while longer-term arrangements are made.

    "For now, please hold off on further general donations unless a specific item is requested. Your generosity has already been overwhelming."

    Meanwhile Dr Kanneganti says four families have totally lost their homes. He added: "Four families have tragically lost their homes completely, while a number of other properties have suffered varying degrees of damage. Some families will be displaced for a considerable period. Rebuilding homes, replacing belongings and getting lives back to normal will take months rather than days.

    "I have therefore asked the council to work closely with our local community organisations so that accommodation, welfare support, donations and longer-term recovery assistance are properly coordinated."

    Fund-raising efforts are also ongoing with scores of families and businesses all trying to help those affected. Today and part of Maureen Avenue remains shut off with firefighters still in the neighbourhood.

    We have contacted Staffordshire Police and Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service for an update into the investigation.

    Get daily headlines and breaking news emailed to you - its FREE

    Ensure our latest headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search

    More On
    Top Stories
    []
    []
    []
    []
    []
    []
    []
    []
    []
    []
    []
    []

    Web Proxy Viewer  |  New URL  |  Original Page